Thursday, December 11, 2008

Cookie Time: 4 Spice Cookies

I just like these cookies...because! They are total dipping cookies. Not that I condone dipping or dunking. (You know how it is, let one kid dunk the next thing you know you've got milk-toast soup-slurping party, sorry Ves!)

I would say these are pretty similar to Gingersnaps, with that extra spice kick from the nutmeg, cinnamon & cloves. They're crunchy & cute & a TOTAL Christmas cookie, in my opinion. The molasses is the clincher to the old fashioned flavor in this classic.

So let us commense to make ourselves some:

2 1/2 c flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinn
1 c b. sugar
1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortning
1/4 c molasses
1 egg

Whisk dry in a bowl, beat butter, shortning & sugar till smooth, add molasses, blend in egg. Mix dry into wet. Lets not try to be immature and make silly comments about how much this dough looks like poo. I have restrained myself from posting an even more suggestive picture my daughter took of it once it was rolled out into a (e-hum) log!

Cover & chill for 2 hrs. Roll into 1 inch balls place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Flatten a little. Aren't those just the cutest little smooshed balls? Bake at 170c (350f) 8-10 min till cracked but still soft. Take off of rack & cool immideately. Store in airtight container up to 3 weeks.
I found that baking them for 8 min was even a bit much, as you can see some of them that were in the natorious "Hot Spot" in my oven came out pretty toasted, I would've done them for a bit less for a more chewy center.

PS. You can also roll these into 1 1/2 inch logs & freeze for up to 2 mo. Just slice & bake with an extra minute added onto cooking time.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are sooo goooood! Luv them!

Nina said...

Yeh, the ones I tried were nice & chewy, like a chewy Gingersnap, or I guess the correct term wld hv to be "Gingerchew?" Anyway, I like the texture much better that way.

Here I will also point out that Elaina posted twice on your "Giveaway Cookie" post, which was against the rules of the game, ergo as self-appointed referee, I call for sharing the cookie prize w/ whomever else in her Home entered the contest. That is if she sees this comment & decides to do the right thing, hahaha!

Anonymous said...

IF those are the cookies you sent to CASH party, then one lucky cookie found its way here right in front of me, (courtesy of Yuke, thanks bro, you are super duper good), & it was SOOO excellent that I had to tell you. Thanks for my new favorite cookie!

Babylove said...

thanks Win, they're pretty similar to the ones from the party, there's a link to the recipe to the party cookies on the post about the party they're called molasses spice cookies, I think those are definately better than these, shortning not sugar is the key to serious crispy crunch. SUCH dipping cookies, eh? Merry Christmas!

Amanda Rudow said...

Alisa, I just have to say, your blog is a Christmas miracle. I was just wondering how I could trust the random eggnog recipe I'd found on AllRecipes (because of course, I'm the designated baker/pastry chef for tonight's Cmas celebrations) and voila! You had one complete with pictures that looked so yummy I printed it right away. I'll even try making these spice cookies without molasses and see how they turn out... oh how I wish I had molasses so I could make them properly. sniff.
IN summary... thanks for the recipes! You saved me a headache.