Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tofu Toppings Rock My World!

Who doesn't like tofu anyway?

I've always felt like it gets a bad rep. In foreign countries people label it as the "fitness freak's" food, and here in Japan it seems like it's the "poor man's protein". In actuality it can really be dressed up & made over to be something really spectacular. And not only healthy but genuinely delicious, not to mention pleasing to the eye. Wait till I show you my dressed up Pesto Tofu. (Awwww, grow up, it is NOT gross!!)

So, awhile ago I put up a basic age-dofu recipe, but this baby is my own personal tofu favorite. And if you aren't lucky enough to have these ingredients available to you...........I feel your pain. I think I would go crazy if I couldn't have authentic Japanese ingredients available at my fingertips. So if you're far away from home & miss some good old fashioned Japanese food, this is what I'd feed you.

Is it just me or is tofu a girly thing? Well, if you are a tofu queen, then treat yourself to one of these every once in awhile. A truly healthy indulgence. I would nearly pick this over beer & chips (nearly): Here's the dealo:

One Pack of silk tofu, drained & rinsed, gently

1 small pack of fish flakes (don't get the flakes for making dashi, which are much more coarse)
a small bit of shoga, grated (ginger)
1-2 leaves of shiso, halved & thinly sliced(beefsteak leaves)
1 bud of myoga, chopped (wild ginger root)
2 stems of ko-negi (chives)
nori cut into thin strips
1/2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (just stir them over low heat in a frying pan for 1 or 2 min, cool)
Straight tsuyu

Gently layer everything in the order given on tofu & serve with tsuyu. The key is to chop everything very finely & stack it carefully. (I think that what makes this feel like a delicate, girly meal) Serve immediately & cold!

Myoga is a really wonderfully flavored little thing. (pictured on the tray between the ko-negi & shiso)
It's taste is like a really mild almost fruity version of ginger, with out that bite that ginger root gives. I Looooove it.

I guess technically, this would be counted as a summer meal but I just can't help it, it's really classy stuff.
Well, it's "itadakimasu" for me!!

PS: sometimes you can find a package in the tofu section with 3 or 4 of these toppings already chopped in a pack for 100 Y or so. But of course the fresh is best.

2 comments:

The Silver Princess said...

god I love dofu, miss it like hell

Nina said...

Ooooh, tofu deluxe!