Friday, November 21, 2008

"Well, your Pa's full of......."

If I may just say, I'm not sure why anyone would be insulted to have someone say they are "full of applesauce". I personally like applesauce!!I mean, look at that? How can you not like that? It's just simple, friendly, homey & heart warming. So just in case you're stuck w/ a box of apples & are in need of direction, here's some "Little house on the Prairie" advice for you.

Peel & slice 6-7 apples
squeeze 1/2 lemon
3 cloves
1 stick of cinn (or 1/2 tsp ground cinn)
3 whole cardamom pods (or 1/2 tsp ground cardamom)
1/4 c of water

Bring to a boil, lower heat & simmer covered for 1 hr or more, stirring occasionally. Take off the lid & simmer for 1/2 hr more (if you want thicker sauce)

You can leave it chunky or blend it to make it smooth. I don't think I like it blended, it reminds me too much of baby food. This makes about 3-4 c. It'll keep in a jar in the fridge for loooong days!!

Now as far as it's uses:

- It's just great as a sweetener
- on yogurt
- on french toast & pancakes
- on toast
- on crackers
- on ice cream
- in muffins
- in sweet breads
- in cakes
- etc etc....

Well, what are you waiting for? Go forth & make applesauce!

1 comment:

Nina said...

Sure wld be nice to get "stuck w/ a box of apples" right about now...