Sunday, June 28, 2009

Watermelon Sorbet

Somehow I'm hoping I don't get anymore 'followers' there's something just loveable about opening my Dashboard & seeing my 12 disciples!

If you must know, I haven't had any time to cook anything inventive. I'm sure to turn my grill into the gateway to creative desperation but as it stands I'm still knee deep in empty boxes, scrunched up newspaper & odd sockies.

So I give you this:

If I could find words to describe my affection for watermelon I would, but suffice it to say it is in my opinion the Queen of fruit. (Albeit a fat queen, but Queen nonetheless)

If it wasn't for slices of ice cold, crisp, juicy, dripping, red goodness we may as well just fold up & lie in the baking sun being bitten relentlessly by mosquitos whist having our eardrums rendered useless by the semis.

My heart was nearly stolen forever when friendly pal of mine walked a mile to bring me home a watermelon one day. Though come to think of it he probobly rolled it all the way to my doorstep. Could life get any better than having a watermelon in the fridge with your name on it? I THINK NOT!!

So here's how it works. Grab 1/2 a watermelon & cut it into chunks & de-seed it. Beware of your children lest one stick a seed up their nose & it sprouts forth a watermelon shoot making for an embarassing trip to the doctor. (No laughing, it happened to my Bro-in-law, it could happen to you!!)


Try despeartely to not snitch too much & then blend it with 2 or 3 tbsp of vodka & if your inclined 3 tbsp-1/4 a c of sugar. Remind yourself you're not making a frozen coctail & so you are NOT going to add more vodka & down it in a moment of weakness.

Put it back in fridge for at least 2 hrs or freezer for 1/2 an hr to get reeeeally cold again.

If you have a ice-cream maker you can at this point (following the makers instructions) churn the watermelon from slushy juice to freezing goodness.

If you don't have an ice-cream maker have no fear, you can always make this a granita by pouring it into a 8-11" baking tray (or other suitable tray) and freezing it for an hr or 2 (till it's hard but not rock solid) then scraping it with a fork into a bowl for a nice Kakigori-ish feel.


Now if you're want to get into the asthetics you may want to put some little mini choco-chips too but personally I think frozen chocolate has an awful texture so I didn't bother.


A little word of warning. Don't overdo it with the vodka as the alcohol will prevent it from getting solid. But keep a look out for "Massive Indulgence of WHOLE Vodka soaked Watermelon" experience, coming as soon as I can get my hands on one. And you better be at my house when I make it or I will have to polish it off myself

Aaaaand......that's all that she wrote.....catch youes later!!

2 comments:

Crazy People said...

Gotta say I'd be the one too add ice and more vodkia to the blender, throw the whole thing in a glass and relax in the pool, sipping slowly. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I love watermelon!

Nina said...

Oooweee! That's an awesome summer recipe! Did u make THAT for Josh's b'day?

And re: the sprouting watermelon seed story - I always thot it was his ear he stuck it in & they didn't find out till he started getting earaches! Scared me.