So, not that this has anything to do with the fact that I just declared I wouldn’t want to use coconut related products for awhile, when lo & behold, God sends a mighty wind & out of the sky drop a couple of cases of coconut juice. (aka. Coconut water with sugar & young coconut flesh) Not to mention the coconut cake (made of coconut meat/tapioca flour/sugar)
Well, instantly my “survival Sam” instincts kick in & I’m thinking what would I make if I was stranded like Tom Hanks in “Castaway” with nothing but boxes of coconut juice & coconut meat.
I’m sure you’ve already come up with something even more inventive & ingenious than I have & I’d love to hear about it, if you have been blessed with several cases or tons of coconut product. But after mulling it over & about 15 minutes on googleI felt hopeful & I hope to hear of the coconutty things we all come up with. First off are the cocktails of course
1. Rum & Coconut Water (I shall try this ASAP)
2 oz amber rum
4 oz chilled coconut water
Ice (And Volia!!)
2. Coco Copacabana – the Barry Manilow tribute cocktail
3 tablespoons coconut flesh 2 measures pineapple juice2 measures coconut water1 measure brandy
Shake pineapple and brandy in a shaker with ice. Strain over coconut flesh in a Martini glass. Freshen with coconut water. Serve with a very large cocktail umbrella.
3. Thai Me Down (snicker snicker)
2 tablespoons shredded coconut flesh 3 measures COCOFINA coconut water1 measure passionfruit liqueur
Shake passionfruit liqueur and half the coconut water in a shaker with ice. Strain over coconut flesh in a highball glass. Add the rest of the coconut water.
What else could we put coconut water in? After about 300ml of that stuff I was pretty sure I should not pawn it off to the kids for BF/Lunch/Dinner.
So, here are a few things I wanna try or thought would be worth mentioning:
- Adding the coconut juice to curry (in place of water) maybe even the meat
- Making rice with coconut juice instead of water (I know, I know, I WON’T MAKE ERASER DUMPLINGS)
- Oatmeal: Make as usual with half milk/coconut water
- Rice pudding: Same as above
- Banana smoothie: bananas, ½ Frozen coconut juice (meat & all) & ½ milk,
- Coconut cream pie: I’m seriously considering trying this by adding the coconut water & some measure of cream for the custard mixture & of course the coconut meat, probably cut into “non-udon-like” bits
As for the coconut cake, well that’s a bit harder as it’s already processed but I’m guessing it would make a great filler cut into bits for sweet breads/cookies/cakes. It would probably be great in granola or fruit salad. Ooohh, what about pineapple upside-down cake.
Well, that’s it but I’m betting that Jr. with his Thai expertise could get a lot more out of this subject. If you have a good idea lemmie know.
I'll end with a frozen cocktail I made with a certain very special Frenchy in mind. Here's to you darling & I shall call this drink "Ves-Frenchie-chill-pill".
This drink for 2 consisted of (roughly) one banana, one 300 ml. can of frozen coconut juice & meat, 1/4 or 1/3 c rum, 4 or 5 tbsp of coconut liquor, 1/4 c milk & 4-5 tbsp of heavy cream. BLEND & VOILA!!