Saturday, August 29, 2009

Vanilla Poppy Seed Cake

Good Morning Everyone. Sorry it's been ages since I last posted. Nothing like a summer school break with lots of action to keep me exhausted.

These mornings have been cool but still sunny. This morning I even had a hot coffee on the patio taking a moment to stand under the trumpet blossoms & hang out with the latest tenant turtle dove whose built his nest in our trumpet vine about how things are going in his part of town. Somehow his red eye with that little beady black dot in the center makes me think he's got insomnia. And he never seems to leave the nest or I'd climb up there & sneak a peek.

I haven't baked in ages n' ages. I'm not sure why. I just don't feel like firing up the oven if I at all possible but birthday season is upon us next week starting with the #3's 8th Birthday on the 4th of Sept. So I'm trying to scratch my brain for ideas.

And...as promised a recipe. I made this one awhile ago & would certainly make it again. Reducing the sugar from 1 1/3 c to 1 made it passable as breakfast fare esp when served with fresh berries or fruit. Course if you start with adding cream then I feel you're venturing into the "coffee break num-nums" territory.

In anycase....hope you enjoy it the way a hoard of hungry children did when they scarfed it down. :)
Vanilla Poppy Seed Cake (from my beloved "Joy of Coffee" book)

1/2 c poppy seeds
3/4 c milk
1/2 c plain yogurt
2 1/3 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp b. powder
1/2 tsp b. soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
3 large eggs seperated
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F (165 c) Grease & flour 10" tube pan

In small bowl stir poppy seeds, milk & yogurt set aside.

Stir together flour/b. powder/b. soda/salt in medium bowl.

In large bowl with electric mixer cream together butter & sugar till well blended, @ 2 min. (stand mixer works fine too)

Add egg yolks & vanilla blend thoroughly about a minute.

Add flour mixture alternating with poppy seed mixture, starting & ending w/ flour.

In separate bowl whisk egg whites till stiff, stir spoonful of whites into batter to lighten it gently stir in the rest

Pour batter into pan. Bake 50 min till cake is golden & toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack completely before removing from pan. Serve sliced at room temp. Refrigerate covered for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 4 mo.


Voila!

5 comments:

win said...

mmm I love poppy seed cake! Where do u buy poppy seeds?

Unknown said...

I came across this recipe awhile ago and am intreged by it.

http://www.omnomicon.com/ice-cream-cake

Speaking of cakes, I have this weird idea in my head of pumpkin cupcakes, with a cranberry frosting????? I'm thinking you really dial back the sweetness so the tartness of the cranberry come through with the depth of the pumpkin. Am I crazy?

Babylove said...

win: I found some at Chiba Sogo's import food section, or in the import foodie section under the Station, can't remember the name. also at "Kaldi" (Coffee Farm)

Lisa: I think you veer toward genius as opposed to crazy, unfortunately finding fresh or even frozen cranberries here are akin to finding an ice-cream stand in the desert. :( Tx for the recipe...I'll check it presently!

Unknown said...

We can pretty much only get dried here, but I have heard you can soak them in a liqur or nector and they become like fresh. If you make a list of things you can't get that are lightweight like that I'd be happy to mail it to you.

Amy said...

Stop posting this kind of stuff! It's cruel punishment for kind souls who can't eat it! lol! I miss your cooking already. My lebanese friend was very impressed when I told her you made fatoush - she was like "where did she learn to make THAT?! That's the best."