Monday, December 17, 2007

Cooking for Fun!

The Lord must love me today!! I offered to help a Mark & Faith with their Christmas dinner party & I’m going to help with a few things. Believe me, it’s just a drop in the bucket, they have a few other helpers, but I got to choose the desserts. I picked some good Christmassy ones. I couldn’t help it with the Grasshopper Pie, it just has got great coloring. So anyway here’s what I’m making. I know it sounds wacky but it’s just so darn fun to cater, esp. when you have a flexible budget & menu. It’s like playing ‘food toys’. Though I’ll have to do most of it in my spare time I think I’ll be able to cover it OK. So here’s the list:

Roast Turkey
New England apple nut stuffing
Gravy
Cold Tuna Mozarella Pasta
Mushroom & Bacon Pasta
Raspberry Cheesecake
Trifle
Grasshopper Pie
Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Avocado Salsa
Bacon Sour Cream Dip

And for you in the United States of America, cranberries are like GOLD about ½ a cup of frozen cranberries for about 4.00$. That would mean it would cost about 30.00$ to make cranberry sauce. So I guess I won’t be having any this year. PTL!!

I’m wishing I could get some real solid advice about Trifle, for example, what’s the closest thing to the Ladyfingers, or whatever you use for the “biscuity” part. And what’s the traditional liquor to use, I’ve read for the most part Sherry or Brandy? Gee, I wish Nick was around, that dude knew pretty much all there was to know about Trifle.

OH, & BTW, if anyone has a tried & proven cornbread stuffing recipe please email me.

Nighty night!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! Trifle... ahh, love the stuff!
The best trifle maker I knew used plain sponge cake.

Aimee said...

Bread stuffing Basic ingredients (U can adjust the amount):
Saute in butter/marg or with bacon & grease:
-2 or more cups chopped celery
-1 cup chopped onions
-garlic
-diced red piman, (makes it look -christmassy with the gren veg.)
-handful of chopped parsley.

-Put 4-6 cups (?) of diced bread into sauted veg,

-Add 1-2 cups of chicken broth to bread & celery mix.

-add some salt if needed
-pinch pepper
-sage (main spice)
-pinch majoram

extras:
canned black olives
apples
raisins
pecans
ham/bacon
mushrooms
turkey or chicken grease

I just experiment with these ingredients. the main thing is the celery & sage. ha.

Aimee