Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Shepherd's Cheeseburger Pie

This is a classic “Bubble & Squeak” incident. Personally I must be honest & say that casseroles that involve mashed potatoes hold no real affection for me. Though nothing can surpass the deep loathing that both U.Masa & Nephew Travis hold dear, when it comes to potatoes. But since being short on time is something that I’m professional at, I had to throw something together for dinner. So here it is.

For the casserole:

8 large potatoes, mashed (& all that that entails)
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
½ kg of ground beef (1 lb)
Salt & Pepper to taste
@ ¼ c. left over pizza sauce I made (If I didn’t have that I would have used a few tbsp of ketchup & 1 or 2 of bulldog sauce, for the gaijin that would be, Worcestershire sauce)
1 cup of cheese

And for the crust:

1 ½ c flour
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp basil
1 tbsp b.powder
½ salt
2 eggs
1 c milk

So, for the crust, I mixed the drys & cut the butter into it (I prefer using my hands, not knives or pastry cutter) & set aside
Chop the onion & mince the garlic, Brown the beef w/ the onion & garlic, add the pizza sauce (really, I only used it cuz it was convenient, I would’ve used some other kind of tomato based sauce just the same, or ketchup for that matter.)

Next, slap the rest together! Well, more specifically, preheat your oven to 200C (400F), grease a 13/9” casserole dish. & mashed the mashed potatoes into the bottom, add the meat next (sprinkle w/ S&P).
Hmmm...that doesn't look so great. Now let's throw on some cheese.
Lastly, let’s finish the crust. Mix 2 eggs with 1 c milk & mix into the dry ingr. till just mixed. (it will be lumpy, if it’s not…..you’ve overmixed & are destined to have a tough cardboardy top!) Mix with a spoon, if you please, Spoon the topping over the casserole. And throw that sucker in your oven for about 15 min. or till you’ve got a golden top. Serve with ketchup...for all those condiment-dependant individuals. And lookie at that cute plate! Aww!
PS. Shepherd’s Pie is usually a “potatoes/ground beef/veggies/cheese” combo, Whereas Cheeseburger Pie is a “pie crust/ground beef/tomatoes/cheese/crust” combo. Thus the mangled name!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always enjoyed shepherds pie but never had on with the potatoes on the bottom. Hope to see you posting again soon.